What do you do when your son bags five ptarmigans and two spruce grouse seven minutes into an afternoon hunting expedition? Why whip up a new homemade ptarmigan stew recipe of course!
Various types of ptarmigans live in different habitats across our home country of Canada, as well as the United States and parts of Europe. They're easy to hunt and make a tasty stew or soup. Apparently, they hang around with spruce grouse in our area.
While we mixed the ptarmigan and spruce grouse in this recipe, feel free to use it with just one type of bird. Alternatively, substitute partridge if that's what's available in your neck of the woods.
After my son cleaned and gutted the birds, he cut them up into one-inch chunks. And then I stepped in to finish up.
I cooked this ptarmigan stew recipe on our propane hotplate. It was just too hot here a couple of weeks ago to build a fire in our stove. However, this is a perfect recipe to simmer away in a cast iron dutch oven on a woodstove.
Homemade Ptarmigan Stew Recipe
- 5 ptarmigan breasts
- 2 spruce grouse breasts
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 large cloves of garlic, crushed
- 1 ½ large red onions, diced
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 6 cups white potatoes, chopped, skin-on
- 3 cups diced carrots
- 3 cups diced sweet potatoes
- 1 cup fresh or frozen green peas
- 5 cups (or 2 large cartons) low-sodium chicken broth
- 14 ounce can diced tomatoes
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon celery seed or 3 stalks fresh celery
- 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper/cayenne pepper
- 2 tablespoons dried crushed rosemary
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- In a large <g class="gr_ gr_65 gr-alert gr_spell gr_inline_cards gr_run_anim ContextualSpelling ins-del" id="65" data-gr-id="65">stock pot</g> or huge dutch oven, saute onions and garlic in 2 tbsps extra virgin olive oil for about 5 minutes
- In a mixing bowl, coat ptarmigan and grouse pieces in flour, salt and pepper
- Add 2 tbsps olive oil to onion and garlic mixture
- Place meat pieces in stock pot with onion and garlic. Brown quickly on all sides.
- Add all other ingredients
- Simmer over low heat, stirring occasionally
*FREE* Get Our BIG list of 75 Homesteading & Off Grid Online Resources NOW!
Subscribe (FREE) to immediately access this list in our off grid living resource library. Subscribers get notified of new resources via our newsletter.