Last winter we participated in a 60-day pantry and freezer challenge to use up our leftovers and save money. It was a great experience and yes, we did save on groceries. I also got creative and whipped up new recipes like this one for white bean and kale soup with sausage leftovers. We reduced our waste too and even found that we were eating healthier. Probably because I was more intentional with meal planning.
And here's the recipe! I started with a cookbook recipe but ended up just closing it and doing my own thing with the ingredients we had on hand. I served it with my frugal homemade bread recipe (served as crusty rolls.) This is a perfect recipe to simmer on the woodstove or on our propane cooktop.
We'll do another pantry and freezer challenge in January 2020. I'll be sure to include this White Bean and Kale Soup with Sausage. It was a BIG hit with all of us.
- 2 tbsps olive oil
- ½ onion, diced
- 1 large clove garlic
- 3 small celery stalks, diced
- 3 medium carrots
- ¾ cups chopped snow peas
- 8 grape tomatoes, chopped in half (about ½ cup)
- ¼ cup diced cooked bacon
- 2 large cooked sausages, any kind, sliced and diced
- 1 cup cooked leftover mixed vegetables, any kind (I used my mixed veg frozen bag - carrots, peas, corn)
- ½ cup kale OR ½ cup frozen mixed greens OR ½ cup spinach
- 1 cup cooked pasta
- ½ cup cooked white beans OR ½ cup green lentils
- 8 cups of water
- 1 package of organic dried vegetable soup mix
- Saute first 9 ingredients in olive oil until onions are translucent.
- Add everything EXCEPT cooked pasta.
- Bring to boil, uncovered, stirring occasionally.
- Reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 50 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add cooked pasta and turn off heat.
- Let it sit for 10 minutes.
- Serve with shredded cheese, fresh ground pepper, and homemade crusty bread or rolls.
Nutrition InformationYield 7 Serving Size 2
Amount Per Serving Calories 240Total Fat 13gSaturated Fat 4gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 9gCholesterol 20mgSodium 483mgCarbohydrates 20gFiber 5gSugar 4gProtein 11g
Looking for more fall soups and stews recipes? Try these: