This homemade vegetable soup recipe is near and dear to my heart because it uses veggies and herbs from our garden. I've never had much success gardening, until this year. My kids say it's because we had a record rainfall this summer, and that may be true. In either case, we're enjoying our first harvest and loving it.
Although I used zucchini, tomatoes, onions, peas, and handfuls of fresh basil and parsley in this homemade veg soup recipe last week, feel free to substitute your own harvest vegetables. And if you're looking for a more exotic veg soup recipe, try our Turmeric Lentil Soup. And whenever you're making soup, remember to adjust the herbs and seasonings to your family's taste. Then look through your fridge and pantry for leftover small amounts of pasta, rice, or meats.
Related: Spruce Grouse Stew Recipe
We tend to eat soups later on in the week as they're a good way to make use of little bits of leftover beef, chicken, or shrimp.
As with most of my soup recipes, this veg soup recipe is a filling, hearty dish. If you're ready to feed a crowd, add a garden fresh salad or a strawberry and greens salad, and some homemade bread or rolls. Bake it on a traditional stove or use a cast iron dutch oven to cook it on a wood stove or even over a campfire. Enjoy!
Harvest Homemade Vegetable Soup Recipe
- ½ red onion, chopped
- 3 large stalks of celery, chopped
- 2 large carrots, chopped
- ½ medium zucchini, chopped
- ½ cup fresh green peas
- 1 tsp canola oil
- 2 ½ cups diced tomatoes with juice
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 tsp dried oregano or 1 tbsp chopped fresh oregano
- 1 ½ tsp dried basil or 3 large leaves of Italian basil, chopped finely
- ½ tsp fresh ground black pepper
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 cups of broth - vegetable, chicken or beef
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup dried green lentils
- Saute vegetables in canola oil in a large dutch oven or stock pot until soft - about 10 minutes.
- Add all remaining ingredients except green peas.
- Simmer on low for 1 hour.
- Add green peas, simmer for 1 hour more.
- Remove bay leaf.
- Serve with fresh ground pepper, parmesan cheese.
Like this recipe? Save it to your favourite Pinterest Board for Later. Or Pin it directly from my board to yours by clicking here!