I love cornbread. Skillet cornbread, johnnycake, sweet cornbread, savory cornbread. Cornbread muffins and cornbread stuffing. Yet not everyone in my family feels the same way. That’s why I was thrilled to find a honey graham cornbread recipe that all of the kids like.
This post contains affiliate links. Read our full disclosure policy.
For the past month, we’ve been taking part in a 60-day freezer and pantry challenge. For about two months, we’re not buying groceries. Except for dairy and eggs. Instead, we’re digging deep into our freezer and scouring our kitchen cupboards and pantry shelves. The idea is to use up the food we have before it expires or gets freezer burned.
And as luck would have it, I had just enough cornmeal and graham crumbs to make two pans of this honey graham cornbread recipe.
As with most of the food I bake, I started with a basic recipe. This one came from an old cookbook. So old the cover fell off years ago. However, I made so many changes and substitutions it doesn’t resemble the original recipe at all.
Like many honey graham cornbread recipes, this makes a moist cake. Some of the kids like it drizzled with maple syrup for breakfast. I like it plain with my coffee. Okay, sometimes I’ll add a dab of homemade raspberry jam. And one of my sons likes it with vanilla ice cream for dessert.
It’s simple, it’s good, and it’s made with honey – NOT refined white sugar. And you know, the honey versus sugar cornbread controversy
Honey Graham Cornbread Recipe
- 1 tbsp vinegar
- 3 tbsp skim milk powder
- 3/4 cups of warm water (I usually remove a tablespoon of water from it)
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- 1/4 cup liquid honey
- 1 egg
- 1 cup graham cracker crumbs
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 tbsps vinegar (Yes, I really do use a second amount of vinegar, skim milk and water!!)
- 4 tbsp skim milk powder
- 3/4 cups of water
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Butter a 9 x 9 pan.
- Mix vinegar, 3 tbsp of skim milk powder and water in a 1 cup liquid measuring cup. Combine with cornmeal in a small bowl and set aside.
- In another small bowl, mix the second amount of vinegar, skim milk powder and 3/4 cups of water. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl combine butter, honey, and egg. Mix well.
- Add graham crumbs, flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt on top. Stir in the bowl of soured skim milk mixture gradually.
- Pour in the cornmeal/soured milk mixture from Step #3.
- Pour into the greased pan. Bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for about 45 minutes. Cool in pan on a baking rack.
- Then TAKE A PICTURE BEFORE YOUR KIDS AND HUSBAND EAT IT ALL!!!
Warm Up Your Cornbread in a Cast Iron Skillet
Another reason we like cornbread is that it tastes GREAT when we heat it up on our woodstove. We simply cut a piece, put it in the cast iron skillet, and stick it on top of the stove for ten minutes. Delicious.
Hope you enjoy this easy honey cornbread recipe as much as we do. Give it a try and let us know how it turned out!