I love cornbread. Skillet cornbread, johnnycake, sweet cornbread, savory cornbread. Cornbread muffins and cornbread stuffing. Yet not everyone in my family feels the same way. That's why I was thrilled to find a honey graham cornbread recipe that all of the kids liked.
Estimated reading time: 4 minutes
A few years ago, our family participated in a 60-day freezer and pantry challenge. For about two months, we're not buying groceries.
Except for dairy and eggs. Instead, we dug deep into our freezer and scoured our kitchen cupboards and pantry shelves. The idea was to use up the food we had before it expired or got freezer burned.
And as luck would have it, I had just enough cornmeal and graham crumbs to make two pans of this honey graham cornbread recipe.
Like most of the food I bake, I started with a basic recipe.
Okay, sometimes I'll add a dab of homemade raspberry jam. And one of my sons likes it with vanilla ice cream for dessert.
This one came from an old cookbook. So old the cover fell off years ago. However, I made so many changes and substitutions it doesn't resemble the original recipe at all.
It's simple, good, and made with honey - NOT refined white sugar. And you know, the honey versus sugar cornbread controversy!
Honey Graham Cornbread Recipe
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 3 tablespoon skim milk powder
- ¾ cups of warm water (I usually remove a tablespoon of water from it)
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- ¼ cup melted butter
- ¼ cup liquid honey
- 1 egg
- 1 cup graham cracker crumbs
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 ½ tbsps vinegar (Yes, I really do use a second amount of vinegar, skim milk and water!!)
- 4 tablespoon skim milk powder
- ¾ cups of water
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Butter a 9 x 9 pan.
- Mix vinegar, three tablespoons of skim milk powder, and water in a 1 cup liquid measuring cup. Combine with cornmeal in a small bowl and set aside.
- In another small bowl, mix the second amount of vinegar, skim milk powder, and ¾ cup of water. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine butter, honey, and egg. Mix well.
- Add graham crumbs, flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt on top. Stir in the bowl of soured skim milk mixture gradually.
- Pour in the cornmeal/soured milk mixture from Step #3.
- Pour into the greased pan. Bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for about 45 minutes. Cool in a pan on a baking rack.
- Then TAKE A PICTURE BEFORE YOUR KIDS AND HUSBAND EAT IT ALL!!!
Nutrition InformationYield 12 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 151Total Fat 5gSaturated Fat 3gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 2gCholesterol 26mgSodium 311mgCarbohydrates 24gFiber 1gSugar 8gProtein 3g
Warm Up Your Cornbread in a Cast Iron Skillet
Another reason we like cornbread is that it tastes GREAT when we heat it up on our woodstove. We simply cut a piece, put it in the cast iron skillet, and stick it on top of the stove for ten minutes. Delicious.
Hope you enjoy this easy honey cornbread recipe as much as we do. Give it a try and let us know how it turned out!