I LOVE baking coffee cake for four reasons, especially with this easy apple sour cream coffee cake recipe. One, it's easy to make.
Two, it's a great way to use up leftover fruit. And since we're living off the grid without garbage pickup, we do our best to minimize our household waste.
Three, it's a cheap dessert to feed a crowd. When we were doing our pantry and freezer challenge last winter I used this apple sour cream coffee cake recipe more than once.
And four, it's delicious!
By the way, if you're here from Homeschool Giveaways and you're looking for the Time-Limited Free Recipe Book, just scroll down to the bottom of this post and you'll see it. And yes, the recipe for this apple coffee cake is in it.
There are many easy coffee cake recipes out there. This is one of my favorites as we often have just one or two apples left by the end of the week.
This apple sour cream coffee cake recipe makes good use of those leftovers. It's easy to whip up and pop in the oven. I made this apple cake without cinnamon last week, and it was very good. But feel free to add 1 teaspoon of cinnamon to the crumb mixture.
Serve This Coffee Cake for Breakfast
This is a good breakfast coffee cake as it isn't too sweet. Yet it could easily serve as an apple snack cake (cut it into small squares.) To serve it for dessert, warm it up a little and add a dollop of vanilla ice cream or whipped cream.
Use Other Fruit in This Apple Sour Cream Coffee Cake Recipe
It's easy to substitute other fruit for the apples in this coffee cake recipe. Try the following:
- 1 ½ cups of blueberries
- 1 cup of rhubarb
- 1 ¼ cups Saskatoon berries
- 1 ½ cups everbearing raspberries
If you are baking a blueberry sour cream coffee cake or a raspberry sour cream coffee cake, freeze the berries for half an hour. Sprinkle a little flour with the half-frozen berries to keep them from getting mushy and coloring the coffee cake purple! It might taste good, a big purple block may turn off any picky eaters in your family.
More Frugal Quickbread and Muffin Recipes:
- Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Muffins
- Banana Flax Seed Bread
- Cranberry Orange Loaf
- Easy Honey Graham Cornbread Recipe
This apple sour cream coffee cake recipe marked the first time I used my new silicone bakeware, and I made it in the square 9 inch pan. While I did grease the silicone with butter, I don't think it was needed. The silicone was so flexible it simply peeled away from the cake.
Give this recipe a try. If you make any substitutions and would like to recommend them, drop us a line. Happy Baking!
- 2 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 ¼ cups brown sugar
- ¾ cups room temperature butter or margarine
- 3 tsps baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 egg
- ¾ cups sour cream
- ¼ tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 2 Granny Smith apples, diced fine
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Butter a 9-inch square pan and set aside.
- Combine flour, brown sugar, butter and cinammon if you're using it in a large bowl.
- Use a spoon to press about half of the crumb mixture into the bottom of the pan.
- Add baking powder and salt to the remaining crumb mixture and mix it well.
- Make a well in the middle for your wet ingredients.
- Whip together the egg, sour cream, and vanilla extract.
- Pour wet ingredients into the well and mix gently.
- Fold in other chopped apples or other fruit.
- Use a spatula to scrape the coffee cake mixture into the pan on top of the crumb base.
- Bake for 60 minutes then insert a knife into the centre. If it comes out clean, it's ready. If not, pop it back in the oven for another 5 minutes then repeat.
Nutrition InformationYield 16 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 236Total Fat 11gSaturated Fat 7gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 3gCholesterol 41mgSodium 245mgCarbohydrates 32gFiber 1gSugar 16gProtein 3g
This apple sour cream coffee cake is a perfect recipe for baking with kids, and provides a great way to use up leftovers, and experiment with different fruit and flavor combinations. If you choose to make a Blueberry Sour Cream Coffee Cake, adding 1 tbsp of lemon juice is a nice touch. This coffee cake also freezes well, and makes a good option for a potluck, church lunch, or to drop off at a neighbor's house.
Related: Cookie Crumb Peach Cobbler