Chicken black beans salsa corn casserole doesn't sound that exciting, but it's a practical, filling, nutritious and delicious meal for our family.
Our off grid home is up a remote highway and down a rough private trail in Canada's subarctic Northwest Territories. So getting rid of waste we can't compost or burn, is a pain.
We have to haul all of our garbage out to the dump that's a 40-minute drive away. So I've become more intentional about reducing our waste.
Another Recipe for Leftovers: Turmeric Lentil Soup Recipe
One way we do that is by using up our leftovers to create new dishes. This chicken black beans salsa corn casserole recipe (I'll have to come up with a catchier name) is a great way to use up at least six ingredients we had leftover at the end of the week. And it's a money saver too!
Chicken Black Beans Salsa Corn Baked Casserole Recipe
- 1 cup cooked cubed or shredded chicken
- 1 ½ cups salsa
- ½ onion, diced
- 1 cup of corn
- 1 can black beans, drained
- ½ cup diced tomatoes
- 3-4 whole wheat, gluten-free, or corn tortillas, cut into quarters
- ¾ cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese (or any combination of Monterey Jack, Cheddar, and Mozzarella)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- ½ teaspoon to 1 teaspoon chili powder
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- ¼ teaspoon oregano
- Set oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a large saucepan, saute diced onion in 1 tablespoon canola oil
- Add chicken, black beans salsa, corn, and tomatoes
- Stir until warmed
- Spoon ⅓ of the mixture into a 9 inch by 12 inch greased casserole
- Cover with tortilla pieces (may take 3 to 6 pieces depending on tortilla size)
- Sprinkle tortilla with Monterey Jack cheese
- Spread another ⅓ of chicken salsa black beans corn mixture over cheese. Cover with tortillas, and add sprinkle shredded cheese over this.
- Continue until all of mixture, tortillas, and cheese have been used finishing with a final layer of chicken mixture covered with cheese.
- Bake at 375 for approximately 30 minutes or until cheese is nicely browned.
- For a creamier dish, reduce the salsa to 1 cup and add ½ cup of mayonnaise or Miracle Whip.
- For a vegetarian dish, replace the chicken with 1 cup of cooked lentils, or add ½ can more of black beans.
- Replace the chicken with 1 cup of ground beef or even shredded leftover roast beef.
- Add ½ cup of cooked sweet potato or squash
- Add ½ of a green, red, yellow, or orange pepper.
Nutrition InformationYield 4 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 953Total Fat 14gSaturated Fat 5gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 6gCholesterol 44mgSodium 1314mgCarbohydrates 168gFiber 35gSugar 8gProtein 53g